Re: No return value in doc string

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: No return value in doc string
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 20:34:07 +0300

> From: Dieter Wilhelm <dieter@duenenhof-wilhelm.de>
> Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 02:27:05 +0200
>
> Is there any policy for the documentation string of the return value?

I don't know if there is a policy, but I think return values should be
documented.

> The Elisp programming guidelines just mention that the documentation
> string for functions should answer the question "What does this
> function do?".

That includes what value it returns, IMHO.

> So I'd consider leaving out the return value in a doc
> string of an interactive function a failure (please have a look at
> `next-line' `previous-line' and `make-frame').

What version of Emacs do you have?  In the current development
sources, the doc string of make-frame already says:

    Return a newly created frame displaying the current buffer.

So the return value, which is the frame object, is already documented.

As for the other two, the return nil, i.e. nothing, so I think it's
okay to say nothing about the (absent) return value.

That said,...

> Should I report this as bugs or is this a bit over the top?

...feel free to report if you disagree with my reasoning.