Re: 8-bit characters input

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: 8-bit characters input
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2007 16:03:27 -0400

> I can't input 8-bit chars in Emacs when I'm on the command line; especially,
> I need to type Italian accented chars (e.g. àèìòù). I simply want that an
> "è" appears when I press the "è" key; I want to avoid any deadkeys and such.
> Currently, instead, when I type one of those chars, it seems like some
> control code is inserted (e.g. when I press "à" the cursor moves down some
> lines).

Check C-h l after hitting à to see what char sequence was really sent
to Emacs.  You'll need both the set Emacs's keyboard-coding-system correctly
(typically to utf-8 or latin-1) and to let your terminal application send
the necessary info (among other things, you'll want it to use ESC to encode
the meta modifier (sometimes referred to as the alt modifier)).

        Stefan