Re: 8-bit characters input

From: Marco De Vitis
Subject: Re: 8-bit characters input
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 08:59:07 GMT

Il 11/04/2007 5:44, Stefan Monnier ha scritto:

It seems that a C-v is sent instead of à.

Is that all?  There's a good chance that hitting à sends more than one char.

If I just open a new file ("emacs test"), press à, and then press C-h l, here is what I see in the Help buffer:

C-v C-h l

Yes, it looks like right now the problem is in the terminal
configuration itself.

But the problem happens in two different remote terminals (and also locally), and the same 8-bit chars work fine on the command line in those same terminals...

What terminal did you try this with?

OSX Terminal, which is configured as xterm-color.

I now tried also from PuTTy (configured as xterm) on a Windows machine, and hitting à appears to send different stuff:

M-C M-SPC C-h l

I currently can't try logging in locally, I'm far from the machine. But I can tell you that, while in the remote terminals I get an "End of buffer" message in emacs when I press à, in the local terminal some chars where actually entered, I can't remember which ones, but I think they were a variant of the upper case A plus a symbol, each time I pressed à.

Thanks for your help.

--
Ciao,
  Marco.