Re: How old are Emacs users?

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: How old are Emacs users?
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 09:23:01 +0200

30ish emacs user <kalap.kabat@freemail.hu> writes:

Hi,

> I haven't seen code collapsing displayed like this in emacs:
>
>    http://www.dream-com.com/images/editor/codecollapse.bmp
>
> It can probably be emulated with images of course to an extent, but
> it's not the same as simply drawing a vertical pixel line.

Although I cannot see the picture (I'm currently logged in at home via
ssh. Another point for emacs!), I do know what you mean. Or take KDE's
diff tool kompare. Instead of inserting empty lines in file A's display
if parts of file B have to be inserted there, it renders nice Bézier
curves directly on the canvas to indicate where the parts of B have to
be inserted.

And as you said, folded/collapsed/outlined text would be much better
indicated with a vertical pixel line than with the three dots emacs
appends to the text before. That's simply not eye-catching enough.

Bye,
Tassilo
--
If programmers deserve to  be rewarded for creating innovative programs,
by the same  token they deserve to be punished if  they restrict the use