Re: EmacsW32 invocation options

From: Brian Elmegaard
Subject: Re: EmacsW32 invocation options
Date: Thu, 03 May 2007 07:33:23 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: Brian Elmegaard <address@hidden>
>> Date: Wed, 02 May 2007 07:01:44 +0100
>> Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>> > So not only is your Emacs patched and behaves differently, it also
>> > teaches users habits that will prevent them from using the same .emacs
>> > on other systems?  I find this disturbing.
>> Why do users like to have to start emacs server themselves?
> I didn't say they like this.

I see.

So I took a look at the manual. The manual for some reason is focused
on unix:
"As an alternative to using `emacsclient', the file `etc/emacs.bash'
defines a Bash command `edit' which will communicate with a running
Emacs session, or start one if none exist."

Afaics this is similar to what Lennart does for w32, but I may be
To me this indicates that there might be a reason for making something
easier for windows people, too.

In my experience emacsW32 is a very nice customization for my use of
emacs and it is easier for me to make our students get going with

Brian (remove the sport for mail)