Re: Running Emacs from a USB drive

From: B. T. Raven
Subject: Re: Running Emacs from a USB drive
Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 22:23:07 -0500

thorne wrote:
Hello all.  If i want to run my own Emacs on various random MS-Windows
machines, is it as simple as unpacking a Windows binary distribution
onto a USB drive or iPod or whatever, and maybe making a site-start.el
to grok the current drive letter and set that as the home directory?

I am guessing there is more to it than that...?

If I understand this aright:

then you will first have to grok the mount point of the flash drive and only after running emacs from there will the data-directory variable include the drive letter. If you could somehow arrange to have this drive letter added to the path then you could have a batch file in the root of the flash drive run emacs. A kludge would be to add all the letters d:\ ... z:\ to the global path of the local machine. I don't know whether the site-start.el undoes the setenv "HOME" when emacs exits.