Re: Choosing a versioning system

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: Choosing a versioning system
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 18:22:10 +1000

rustom <rustompmody@gmail.com> writes:

> On Mar 29, 10:18 pm, Mike Treseler <mike_trese...@comcast.net> wrote:
>> B. T. Raven wrote:
>> > Check out Menu>Tools>Version Control
>>
>> See also:
>>
>> Menu>Tools>Compare
>>
>>      -- Mike Treseler
>
> Out of curiosity I did this and found that the default version control
> system that gets invoked is rcs.
> I wonder if this (default) is the best advice to a noob??
> My impression is that rcs was superseded by cvs by svn by.. well... a
> lot of competition!
> This is a genuine question --- I'm familiar with many versioning
> systems but not too good at any of them.
>
> So what do most emacs-ers use?

RCS and CVS/SVN/BZR/et. al. fulfill different purposes. The right one
depends on what you want to do.

RCS is a file based locking version control system. Only one person can
be editing a file at a time and they must check it back into the vc
system before someone else can edit it.

CVS/SVn are more directory/project based version control systems. They
use optimistic locking and merging to allow multiple people to work on
the files at once.

BZR/GIT and others are project/directory based, but focus more on a
distributed version control system.

I tend to use RCS for my own config files and one of the others for
projects where I'm working with multiple files in a well defined
'project' and especially if I'm working with a team.

Fropm your earlier posts on wanting a worklog, I suspect RCS would meet
your needs. It works very well, is simple to use, doesn't require any
special repository setup and is very stable.

Note that emacs is smart enough to handle multiple different
repositories, so don't be concerned that using RCS will prevent you from
using one of the others should the need arise.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au