Re:Copy Paste in no-x11 mode (emacs -nw)

From: Simeon Nifos
Subject: Re:Copy Paste in no-x11 mode (emacs -nw)
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 22:12:07 +0300

> Message: 9
> Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 13:43:51 -0400
> From: Dan Espen <daneNO@MORE.mk.SPAMtelcordia.com>
> Subject: Re: Copy Paste in no-x11 mode (emacs -nw)
> To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>
> "Simeon Nifos" <archwndas@googlemail.com> writes:
>
>> Dear list,
>> I like using emacs in nox11 mode. The Eterm terminal provides a great
>> font by default I really enjoy. It is smaller and I can work on more
>> source code than I do with the misc-fixed font of Xterm. So I usually
>> run emacs  with -nw. Unfortunately there is no way to copy paste
>> something from one emacs window to a terminal or from a terminal to
>> the emacs window I am editing. This is a real headache, since one of
>> the most foundamental stuff an editor is supposed to do, is to support
>> copy and paste of text from whatsoever source to the window where
>> editing takes place.
>
> No.

Really? Why not? Why so fundamental things which is common sense
are so easilly thrown into trash from Unixers? I love Unix myself. But ...
it could have been made much better and much popular if it allowed
what a person expects to have out of the box ... And I am not talking
about fancy (or should I call them stupid) KDE stuff.

> Copy/Paste is a function of the terminal, not Emacs, when you run
> Emacs in a terminal.

Hmmm, it seems however that VIM does it. I am working on the same
Eterm, terminal with VIM and the same thing works like a charm. Why
shouldn't it work with the famous EMACS as well? There are more
things in EMACS than there are in VIM, like debug, like autoformating
of text and C++ comments, and LaTeX documents which are enabled
by default in EMACS and not in VIM. If only the copy paste worked.
I would not need to abandon EMACS at all. Now I do.

>> Is there anyway I could activate this "underestimated" feature in the
>> mode I am using emacs? I apologize if this email sounds aggressive but
>> there are some things an editor is supposed to do by default and I
>> cannot understand why they are turned off in emacs.
>
> I don't know why you are having problems doing copy/paste in a terminal.
> You need to supply more information.  What OS are you using, what did you
> do, what happened.  What did you expect to happen.

Can you? I am using Linux. But the same holds for FreeBSD, Solaris.
Look what I get when I try to paste something on the terminal where
EMACS runs; I mean paste something outside emacs from another
emacs window or vim window or the browser. This is what is reported
  down in the command-buffer: "Kill ring is empty"

I do have enabled the following in my .emacs:
(xterm-mouse-mode t)
(mouse-wheel-mode t)
(setq x-select-enable-clipboard t)

Anything else to try? Can you copy paste in terminal? And it makes no
difference if I use XTerm or Eterm. In both the Kill ring is empty.