Re: Copy Paste in no-x11 mode (emacs -nw)

From: Nikolaj Schumacher
Subject: Re: Copy Paste in no-x11 mode (emacs -nw)
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2008 10:40:53 +0200

Dan Davison <davison@stats.ox.ac.uk> wrote:

> That's a matter of taste, but I'm with Simeon -- I really like emacs
> -nw in a terminal. Could you explain what advantages you perceive for
> running it under X?

a few:

* All keys work, regardless of terminal settings.
* I can steal system keybindings (like cmd-h)
* System integration (copy&paste)
* Ability to spawn new frames (mostly for `gnus-other-frame')
* Appearance modifiable by elisp
* More and nicer colors
* Tetris looks way better :)
* Usable fringes (i.e. Edebug doesn't draw over text)
* Scrollbar (I don't use it, but it's nice visual location info)

Speed is the most important thing -nw has, of course.  The looks on the
other hand are very customizable.  Hiding the toolbar and menubar were
the first things I did.

regards,
Nikolaj Schumacher