Re: emacs-w3m question

From: Xavier Maillard
Subject: Re: emacs-w3m question
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2008 12:25:25 +0100

   in perhaps early 1990s, some keyboards do not have the arrow keys, or
   that some applications (in particular, terminal applications) do not
   necessarily support physical arrow keys by default.

   Today, i think more than 99.999% keyboards and applications support
   the physical arrows keys by default. The availablity of arrow keys i
   think is pretty much standard by mid 1990s, and their support in
   applications including term emulators is probably standard by 2000.

At work, I still have oldies that still do not support these
keys. What's more, directional keys are one of the dumbest
addition one could have thought off (in my opinion). The same
apply for numerical keypad: what are they useful for exactly ? Is
it that hard to press shift+& (for the azerty keyboard) to get a
1 ? Or press C-b to move point left ? I do not think so.

The real reason that comes to mind is lazyness. People do not
want to (take time to) learn how to do things, they want to go
fast (even if they go fast wrongly). Keyboard (or typing more
generally) is just an example, there are so many other applying
here...

End of digression for me.

        Xavier
--