Re: shell-command parameters

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: shell-command parameters
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2009 07:29:37 -0700

rustom wrote:
On Jan 6, 9:05 am, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
From: Chetan <address@hidden>
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2009 13:40:27 -0800
On Windows, if you want 2 commands on a single line, use `&' instead
of `;', as in
   echo 1 2 3 & echo 4 5
echo 1 2 3 && echo 4 5 and get the same result everywhere
The semantics of ;/& and && is not the same.  With `echo', the
difference hardly matters, but in general, the former will always run
both commands, while the latter will sometimes only run the first one.

I guess mostly one needs cmd1 && cmd2.  And the unix equivalent of
cmd1 ; cmd2 is cmd1 & cmd2.

But I still wonder what shell is running in windows emacs?

,----[ C-h v shell-file-name RET ]
| shell-file-name is a variable defined in `src/callproc.c'.
| Its value is "/bin/bash"
| Documentation:
| *File name to load inferior shells from.
| Initialized from the SHELL environment variable, or to a system-dependent
| default if SHELL is not set.
| You can customize this variable.
| [back]

Looking at callproc.c, the system-dependent default is "/bin/sh".