Re: Re: occasional pause (or stutter) on win32 emacs 23.0.95

From: Matthew L Daniel
Subject: Re: Re: occasional pause (or stutter) on win32 emacs 23.0.95
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2009 11:22:24 -0400

On 2:59 PM, Vincent Goulet wrote:
Does freezing happen when you switch from Emacs to another application
and then back? I found out (can't remember how) way back that this
happens when no HOME environment variable is defined. That's why it is
automatically created by my installation wizard when the variable does
not previously exist.

In my case, it is not when Emacs regains focus but rather when one tries to perform an action: typing, saving, cutting text, and so forth. It does not appear to be limited to just keyboard initiated actions, since I experience the pauses when using the toolbar, too.

However, I didn't have a HOME environment variable set, so I gave that a try. It did not change my experience, but it was a great suggestion.

On that topic: vanilla Emacs/w32 (i.e. emacs.exe -q --no-site-file) says (expand-file-name "~") => "c:/Users/mdaniel/AppData/Roaming". Is there some good reason why it chooses AppData\Roaming instead of \Users\mdaniel like intuition would predict? This is not specific to Vista, BTW; on XP it thinks "C:\Documents and Settings\mdaniel\Application Data" is "~".

I will certainly give Vincent's custom distribution a whirl and see how that works out. Everyone needs an installation of LaTeX on their machine, anyway. :-)

  Thanks for your help,
  -- /v\atthew