Java development with Emacs

From: Jeff Clough
Subject: Java development with Emacs
Date: Sun, 07 Mar 2010 11:26:56 -0500 (EST)

Okay, so I think I'm just about done with NetBeans.  Thus far the only
thing giving me a rash is the editor, which is made marginally useful
(for me) through the Emacs key binding set.  Unfortunately, that last
"ten percent" I'm missing has proven to be such a source of annoyance
that...well...I just can't take it anymore, man! *sniff*

What is the done thing when it comes to writing Java applications
using Emacs?  There's obviously a mode for writing the code, but what
other packages and .emacs magic might I want to use to get the most
from it?  I could easily Google some how-tos and whatnot, I'm sure,
but I'm also highly interested in the opinions of people actually
working with Java today as to the usability of Emacs for the task of
writing programs spanning multiple files and such.

So if you're writing Java applications with Emacs as your
center-piece, how are you doing it and what other tools are you using?

Barring an all-singing and dancing Emacs solution that lets me browse
classes, debug my applications, etc., is there any feasible way to
make Emacs work with NetBeans so that NB can keep managing my projects
but all of my editing can take place in Emacs?

Thanks for any help!

Jeff