Re: Search in filled text does not work correctly

From: Gregory (Greg) Benjamin
Subject: Re: Search in filled text does not work correctly
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2012 17:59:47 -0800

I happened to want to convert a list like this:

"apple" "banana" "cherry"

to this format:

apple
banana
cherry

the other day. I started our with 'replace-regexp' and learned about
C-q C-j in a matter of minutes after first trying \n, \\n, C-j,
etc. before googling.

Perhaps it would be better to educate rather than change emacs'
behavior. The built-in tutorial could have a few words added about
using C-q C-j with respect to searching and replacing, or the single
tutorial now provided could be broken into several, with one dedicated
to searching, replacing, highlighting, displaying only the lines
containing a pattern, etc.