Re: Typing accented text.

From: Pascal J. Bourguignon
Subject: Re: Typing accented text.
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2012 13:33:38 +0200

Sergei Organov <osv@javad.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I'd like to type text with explicit accents, and so that accents are on
> top of letters. For example, if I type in ASCII:
>
> H'ere is v'ery short ex'ample of what I want to ach'ieve
>
> then with UNICODE it should be possible to put the accents on the tops
> of the next letters, right? If so, how do I do it in Emacs?

Strictly speaking, with emacs, you do it with C-x 8 ' e --> é
Type C-x 8 C-h for the list.

But you can also do it with xmodmap, either using dead-keys like in
AZERTY layouts, or with Compose (Multi_key) which works similarly to
C-x 8 only at the X level, or with other modifier keys.

For accents, I use Compose, and for greek and mathematical
symbols, I use a modifier key.  http://paste.lisp.org/display/123256