help-gnu-emacs
[Top][All Lists]
Advanced

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: A guide on setting up C/C++ development environment for Emacs


From: Jai Dayal
Subject: Re: A guide on setting up C/C++ development environment for Emacs
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2014 14:34:32 -0400

Not being a genius does not make you an idiot; however, one either meets
the classification of a genius or one does not. Just because there are
binary memberships for some objects wrt classes, it does not mean all
classifications are binary. Being a bigot, however, is binary.

>And putting irony aside: *if* you claim that if someone is even *a
tiny bit* bigoted, then he can be called a bigot, could you please
tell me who is *not* a bigot?

That's not for me to decide. The statement that was made was that
scientists are *more* bigoted than religious types. How can a scientist be
more bigoted than something without being a bigot? It makes no sense.

>Rusi also said "in my
experience"

I don't see how that's relevant. "In my opinion, you are stupid" isn't
really that functionally different in layman speak to "you are stupid".

>I have to admit that it is the first time I see this definition of
"faith", and I wouldn't agree with it.  This closes the discussion (I
hope so at least, I have some work to do, you know).

It really isn't though. There is a difference between beliefs and
evidenced-based reasoning. Faith is *believing* something to be true 100%
regardless of the evidence.


On Fri, Aug 29, 2014 at 2:27 PM, Marcin Borkowski <address@hidden>
wrote:

> Dnia 2014-08-29, o godz. 14:15:48
> Jai Dayal <address@hidden> napisał(a):
>
> > How is it different? One can't be more of X without resulting in being
> > partially X. One is either a bigot, or they aren't, so yes, he is
> > saying scientists are bigoted.
>
> Ah!  Now I get it.  You seem to be reasoning in binary categories.
> Either you are a bigot or not.  Either something is science or not.
> Let me extrapolate a bit: either someone is an idiot or a genius.
> Which one are you?  (SCNR...)
>
> And putting irony aside: *if* you claim that if someone is even *a
> tiny bit* bigoted, then he can be called a bigot, could you please
> tell me who is *not* a bigot?
>
> And here's a solution to your exercise: Rusi also said "in my
> experience", which you conveniently omitted from your "quotation", and
> also he used the words "scientific types", which is not exactly the
> same as "scientists" - as you "quoted" him.
>
> And, you silently ignored my second question.  How convenient.
>
> > Faith is believing that something is true, regardless of what the
> > evidence clearly spells out. How is that not idiotic?
>
> I have to admit that it is the first time I see this definition of
> "faith", and I wouldn't agree with it.  This closes the discussion (I
> hope so at least, I have some work to do, you know).
>
> Best,
>
> --
> Marcin Borkowski
> http://octd.wmi.amu.edu.pl/en/Marcin_Borkowski
> Adam Mickiewicz University
>
>


reply via email to

[Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread]