Re: From Gnus to mu4e

From: Suvayu Ali
Subject: Re: From Gnus to mu4e
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2015 14:58:16 +0200

On Wed, Aug 26, 2015 at 09:22:26AM +0200, Julien Cubizolles wrote:

> I have a few questions about some details of your setup:
>
>   + regarding filtering and spam detection, do you rely on the
>   possibilities offered by you mail provider (Gmail or other)?

I don't know about Bastien, but for me, since I use Gmail I heavily rely
on both filtering and spam detection.  I use Gmails filtering eventhough
it is a bit clunky to avoid setting up something on my end; I find it
simpler this way.  And the spam detection, I find Gmail's spam detection
to be very good, specially when you have been training it for a few
years by reporting spam and phishing messages, as appropriate.

>   + you said you're running Dovecot. Gnus could also directly access the
>   local maildir without a local imap server the way mu4e does, couldn't
>   it ? What's the benefit of running it ?

Probably Bastien has more up to date comments, but last time I looked, I
found Gnus's support for maildir rather poor.  There were a few issues,
it didn't respect the usual maildir flags and stored its own flags
withing the maildir.  So along with incorrect flag, the mail store took
about ~70% more disk space.  It was also a bit slow, despite everything
being local.  My impression is based on the status from about 2-3 years
back, so things might have improved a lot by now.

Hope this helps,

--
Suvayu