help-gnu-music

Re: German (?) notation

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: German (?) notation
Date: 02 Apr 2001 19:12:27 +0200

Thomas Willhalm <address@hidden> writes:

> since lilypond seems to converge to version 1.4, it might be high time to
> ask my questions. I've typeset around 40 songs using LilyPond and I'am
> very satisfied with its layout decisions except in two cases.

That's good to hear, thanks.  What kind of songs, are you composing,
would it maybe mutopia stuff?

> 1. What I've learned in school and what I've have seen in many song is
> the stem of a note on the middle line (usually "b") is downwards.
> Of course, I can control this manually with "\stemDown b \stemBoth",
> but I would prefer an automatic way.

Use:
\score{
  \notes\relative c'' {
    \property Voice.Stem \override #'default-neutral-direction = #-1
    a b c
  }
}

You'll probably also want to do:
   \property Voice.Beam \override #'default-neutral-direction = #-1

> 2. What I also know from school and many songs is a method to notate
> chords: use "C" for "c major" and "c" for "c minor". Is it possible to
> let LilyPond use this notation? (In the output, not in the input;
> "a:min" is fine for me.)

I'm always saying that chord names are fully customisable, but I think
this is a new wish: having the tonic name representation of the chord
change depending on the list of pitches.

This is currently not possible without doing some Scheme programming,
any good ideas anyone?  Amelie, Rune?