help-gnu-music

Re: quartertone accidentals

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: quartertone accidentals
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 01:31:32 +0200

address@hidden writes:
> > It's not that difficult, though. Now, the pitches are handled
> > internally by integers counting semitones. To support quarter
> > tones, we could simply change the internal representation by
> > a factor of two. It would probably involve quite many of the
> > source code files, though.
>
> Wouldn't it be better to change them to floats? I can imagine some
> people
> would also like 1/3 tones, 1/8 tones etc perhaps.

No, imagine the horror when 3 1/3 tones (0.3333) don't add up to a
whole tone, but to 0.9999999999 tones. The real solution, is to let
users also define the range of tones allowed, and let the fields in
the Pitch data structure be indices to that range. Anyways, that's
still music of the future. For now, the x2 approach seems easiest.

BTW, you might want to ask Konrad Hinsen,  he sort of hacked something
together

        http://www.mail-archive.com/gnu-music-discuss%40gnu.org/msg02925.html

,