help-gnu-music

Re: smart transpose

From: Rune Zedeler
Subject: Re: smart transpose
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 11:30:23 +0200

Mats Bengtsson wrote:

> \apply #(lambda (x) (smart-transpose x (make-pitch 0 5 1)))

Oh,that syntax is soo hairy.
If you replace

#(define (smart-transpose music pitch)

with

#(define ((smart-transpose pitch) music)

then you can do

\apply #(smart-transpose (make-pitch 0 5 1))

which is much simpler.

> I think it would be better to use the builtin transpose function
> and implement a Scheme function 'simplify' that makes the desired
> enharmonic changes, something like
> \apply #simplify \transpose cs' \music

I agree.

> I don't have the time right now to implement it, but some
> Scheme hacker on the list should be able to do it.

(define simplify (smart-transpose (make-pitch 0 0 0)))

Eh, haven't tested it. Perhaps I send a patch when I find time to test it.

> On the other hand, I find it confusing to see an 'f' instead of
> an e sharp if the melodic function of the note is e sharp, but
> that's individual and probably also dependent on the instrument.

Again, I agree. I would never use "smart-transpose".

-Rune