help-gnu-music

Re: Stems direction, BarNumbers on 2-staff group

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Stems direction, BarNumbers on 2-staff group
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 17:03:58 +0200

> Well, of course, I still have some problems. If someone could either help
> me or tell me that I don't have the proper version for my needs, it'd be
> nice :
> - I'd like to have downwards stems on notes like [a a' a]. How can I force
> the direction of stems on a group of notes ?

Just say \stemdown, then all the following notes of that voice
will have the stems pointing downwards, reset with \stemboth.
(\stemdown, \stemboth and \stemup are actually shorthands for
property setting commands, see the file property.ly).

> - On my 2-staffs sheet, I have BarNumering turned on. But both staffs have
> numbers, and it's ugly. How can I have to get only the upper staff be
> numbered ?

You probably used something like \translator{BarNumberingStaffContext} or
\translator{OrchestralPartStaffContext}.
Try \translator{ScoreWithNumbers} or \translator{OrchestralScoreContext}
instead.

> I won't post any (negative) comment, because I'm using 1.2.17 or something
> like, so it wouldn't be very useful.

If you try the latest development version, you will find a
more competent program with a significantly improved manual.
As one example, Lilypond now has bar numbering turned on at the
score level by default.
You could also wait for the next "stable" release 1.4.0 which should
appear very soon.

     /Mats