help-gnu-radius

Re: [Help-gnu-radius] Q about handling NAS-IP-Address and NAS-Identifier

From: Rahul Joshi
Subject: Re: [Help-gnu-radius] Q about handling NAS-IP-Address and NAS-Identifier .
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 19:23:25 +0530

Sergey,
       Thanks for your reply.
Could you please  help me by explaining me the
significance of  NAS-IP-Address and NAS-Identifier .
What has confused me is the following sentence of RFC 2865,

Section : 5.4
Either NAS-IP-Address or NAS-Identifier MUST be present in an Access-Request
     packet.

Then what is the use if  NAS-IP-Address and NAS-Identifier then?

Regards.
-Rahul

Sergey Poznyakoff wrote:

Rahul Joshi <address@hidden> wrote:

   Should the  NAS-IP-Address always have
a value from list present in "etc/raddb/naslist"?

No, it is not required.
What behaviour is expected if I send an Access-Request with
an IP address that is not present in the the naslist file?

The request will be processed as usual.

  I this behaviour correct OR I am missing some configuration  of  GNU
radius server to validate the NAS-IP-Address or NAS-Identifier?

This behavior is correct. Raddb/naslist is not related to validation of
the requesting IP addresses. This task is performed using raddb/clients
file (see
http://www.gnu.org/software/radius/manual/html_node/radius_43.html#SEC105).
If the requesting NAS IP is not listed there, or the request
authenticator does not match the shared key for this IP, such
request is dropped. Notice also that this check *does not* use
the value of NAS-IP-Address attribute. Instead it retrieves originator
IP address from the UDP packet header, as required by RFC 2865.

If you wish to segregate your NASes by the value of NAS-IP-Address or
NAS-Identifier, use raddb/hints. See

 http://www.gnu.org/software/radius/manual/html_node/radius_16.html#SEC19

Regards,
Sergey