help-gnu-utils

Re: Stripping out characters

From: era+gmane
Subject: Re: Stripping out characters
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 11:04:22 +0300

On 9 Jul 2004 06:18:34 -0700, zamdrist@pconline.com (Steve Schroeder)
posted to gmane.comp.gnu.utils:
 > I have a space and a newline character between each file that I'm
 > combining, I want to use grep to exlude this and output to a new
 > file...for the life of me I can't figure this out...

What does "combining" mean in this context, and are you sure grep is
the right tool for whatever it is that you are trying to accomplish?

 > ' \n'
 > ' /n'

The regular expression for matching a space next to a newline is ' $'
but grep will merely output any line which matches this regular
expression; is that really what you need it for? "Strip out" sounds
like you'd be better of using something like sed or awk, or perhaps
csplit (this will create a new file every time it sees an occurrence
of a particular regular expression -- is that what you're looking
for?)

/* era */

--
formail -s procmail <http://www.iki.fi/era/spam/ >http://www.euro.cauce.org/