help-gnunet

Mem problems on w32 (was Re: [Help-gnunet] OK to use a FQDN for 'IP' in

From: Christian Drechsler
Subject: Mem problems on w32 (was Re: [Help-gnunet] OK to use a FQDN for 'IP' in gnunet.conf?)
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 16:54:02 +0100

Hello there,

since the w32 version is out now, I set up a gnunet node again - I don't
have net at home, at the moment, so I can only use the win2k machine at
work.

am 12.02.2005 13:08 -0500 schrieb Christian Grothoff
<address@hidden>:

[...]
> I wonder if anyone else is having a problem with high CPU utilization
> by the  _clients_ (not gnunetd)?

Well, gnunet-gtk uses about 30% CPU on a celeron 2.4 here, when
downloading a file of about 130M size.

That's not too bad, I could live with that. Another problem is much more
pressing - and is the reason why I probably will have to close down the
node again:

>From the moment gnunetd is started, ever more memory is used - not by
gnunetd itself, but by sth not listed in win2k's "task manager". So I
guess it's more a problem of win2k itself than of gnunetd ... ?

This morning I came to work and found that, according to task manager,
more thann 700M of mem were used - but the process list showed only
processes with altogether a size of between 100M and 150M.

I rebooted the machine (this was about 10 am), now (4:20 pm) task manager
shows about 400M used mem - the processes shown add to only 135M, though,
kernel mem 64M, system cache 100M. That equals 300M, not 400M ... ? (And
why there must be a system cache of 100M on a machine with 256M physical
RAM will remain Microsoft's secret, I suppose ...)

Anyway, the machine starts to swap horribly soon after gnunetd is
started, and it's getting worse and worse all over the day. As I have to
use this computer for work, I will have to shut down the node again, I
guess. :-/

I hope I will have net at home in a few weeks - I will then set up a node
on my Mac there. Would have been nice to have one here, too, though ...

Regards,

zottel
--
SOL-Buchhandlung - Universitätsstr. 12 - 91054 Erlangen
Tel.: 09131-304174 - Fax: 09131-506255