Re: GNUstepWeb on Debian ?

From: David Ayers
Subject: Re: GNUstepWeb on Debian ?
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 22:07:52 +0200

Mehul N. Sanghvi schrieb:
> If you are using it in production environments, I'm sure you've got it
> talking to a database (PostgreSQL per chance ? ) on the back end and
> that is the main thing that I need as far as I can tell.

Well actually it wouldn't be GNUstepWeb that's talking to a database but
GDL2 (which GSWeb has some minor integration support classes for).  But
in my case we are actually not GDL2 as our database layer
currently but have a highly customized wrapper to the mysqlclient
library.  Yet I believe Manuel is currently using GSWeb+GDL2 in a
production code.  (We are using GDL2 KVC and qualifiers.)

> As for trying to help, time is in short supply, but I'd most certainly
> love to start by trying to get a Debian package done for it.  I think
> that is going to be the first thing that I go after.  I've already
> subscribed to the gswhackers mailing list (after seeing it being CCd
> in the email you sent.  We can move this over there.

Well the first step for a making a package is a release.  I have a GDL2
release pending for a while, but I've been
a) waiting on some pending fixes (Matt, tell me when your ready)
b) still looking into an issue Manual had... Manuel, could you file a
bug report please?
c) insure we have the test suite passing with the latest release of
-base (we currently have some issues with the svn version due to some
KVC changes but I still have to see whether that already applies to the
latest released version of -base).

Once that release is out, we should release GSWeb.  Then I guess we'd
need to ping Brent A. Fulgham <bfulgham _at_ debian dot org> as the
package maintainer to update the gnustep-dl2 package (GDL2).  The next
step would be to create the GSWeb package, which IIUC, you would be
maintaining.

Note that both of these releases will make no promises wrt compatibility
to previous or future releases.  We simply just don't know enough about
the stability of various parts of the API.  Some parts should be very
stable (KVC and qualifiers from my POV), others are still WIP (e.g.
shared editing contexts and EOInterface as a whole.)  But we may even
change the GDL2 libraries to a native-libraries/frameworks with all new
.so names.

Cheers,
David