GNUstep install on OS X 10.3.9 - libffi fails

From: BryanPierc
Subject: GNUstep install on OS X 10.3.9 - libffi fails
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 08:07:59 -0700

Hello everyone!!

I have been trying to install GNUstep on OS X 10.3.9 and have not been able to get gnustep-base to compile.
   I have been able to install libtiff, libjpeg, libpng, libslt from source
I had to use fink for libart2, freetype2, and windowmaker (which I couldn't get to compile from source) I have installed (fsf) gcc 3.3.5 and gnu make-2.2.0 (the latter I hoped might be an answer)

When running configure on gnustep-base-1.18.0 I get the fallowing error
You do not have either ffcall or libffi installed, or configure needs --with-ffi-include and/or --with-ffi-library flags so GNUstep can find them, or you have ffcall but gnustep-make is configured to use native exceptions
       (native exceptions are not compatible with ffcall).
       GNUstep requires ffcall or libffi and proper libobjc hooks to do
       invocations and DO.

Nothing I have tried so far has worked
   I have reinstalled libffi into the "recommended" directories
   I have defined DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH to include these pathways
   I have configured with
--enable-libffi --with-libffi-library=$GNUSTEP_SYSTEM_ROOT/Library/Libraries
        --with-libffi-include=$GNUSTEP_SYSTEM_ROOT/Library/Headers

   (The full list of options...)
./configure --with-xml-prefix=/usr --disable-xmltest --with-library-combo=gnu-gnu-gnu --enable-libffi --with-libffi-library=$GNUSTEP_SYSTEM_ROOT/Library/Libraries --with-libffi-include=$GNUSTEP_SYSTEM_ROOT/Library/Headers --disable-flattened
       --enable-multi-platform LDFLAGS=-L/sw/lib CPPFLAGS=-I/sw/include
   (And of course...)
       (I've added sym-links for libobjc.a as suggested)

I've tried rereading the Darwin install notes at www.gnustep.org/resources/documentation/User/GNUstep/README.Darwin and I've done google searches for the past 24 hours trying to figure out anything I might be missing. I'm relative newbie so anything beyond trying to make sure the libffi and libobjc libraries are in in the DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH and trying to place order the paths so that the <fsf gcc> directories are searched before the <apple gcc> directories
and...well...I'm out of ideas.

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions, it would really, really, really be appreciated!!! :)

Best Regards,
Bryan Pierce