Re: UEFI. Running grub only once functionality

From: Felix Zielcke
Subject: Re: UEFI. Running grub only once functionality
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 2010 19:39:04 +0100

Am Mittwoch, den 03.02.2010, 13:05 +0300 schrieb George Buranov:
> Hello everybody.

> I also read, that grub has internal support for booting-once only
> http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/html_node/Booting-once_002donly.html#Booting-once_002donly
>
> But it is not really clear how does it check if the kernel fails - my
> kernel just hangs or reboot the OS??? So, this option does not seem
> too secure. I need 100% garanty that the GRUB will try to load only
> once, and after that it will pass the loading to another OS

That page is for GRUB Legacy but the principle should be the same with
grub2. After the kernel gets loaded but before it gets actual booted it
replaces the stored number of the menu entry to the one which was stored
before grub-reboot got used and then boots the kernel.
So it doestn't matter at all if that kernel suceeds or fails, it will
always boot the old menuentry the next time.
You have to tell grub that you want to continue booting the new kernel.
--
Felix Zielcke
Proud Debian Maintainer and GNU GRUB developer