Re: Dedicated grub2 partition

From: Goh Lip
Subject: Re: Dedicated grub2 partition
Date: Sat, 02 Oct 2010 12:17:40 +0800

On Saturday 02,October,2010 07:07 AM, Barry Jackson wrote:
On 01/10/10 15:42, Goh Lip wrote:
On Friday 01,October,2010 10:24 PM, Barry Jackson wrote:
I currently use a dedicated grub legacy partition to chainload into many
grub legacy systems. Is it possible to set up grub2 in a dedicated
partition without having grub2 installed in any of the systems that it
will chainload into?

Barry, please see...
http://forum.nginx.org/read.php?26,67573

I too had a dedicated grub partition in grub-legacy (with great help
from Herman of http://members.iinet.net/~herman546/p20.html), but I
changed it to grub2; and yes, you will need to chainload if none of the
OS is in grub2 (but why not?).

Good luck, regards - Goh Lip

Thanks Goh,
I have it working - almost.
I upgraded an Ubuntu installation to 10.04 and used that to
grub-install, after installing grub2, as the original had been down
graded to legacy grub.

Most of my menu entries are simple chainloads into grub legacy systems
like this in menu.lst :-

title Mandriva 2010.1 x86-64
root (hd0,20)
chainloader +1

which in grub.cfg becomes:-

menuentry 'Mandriva 2010.1 x86-64' {
set root=(hd0,21)
chainloader +1
}

However I have some more complex legacy grub entries which as yet I
can't figure out. For example :-

title Slackware 13
root (hd0,22)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda23 ro vga=788

title PCLinuxOS Live
kernel (hd0,0)/isolinux/vmlinuz livecd=livecd vga=788 fromusb
root=/dev/sda1 acpi=on fstab=rw,noauto
initrd (hd0,0)/isolinux/initrd.gz

title HD Installer i586
kernel (hd0,0)/i586/vmlinuz-all BOOT_IMAGE=all-install root=/dev/ram3
ramdisk_size=32000 vga=791
initrd (hd0,0)/i586/all.rdz

Any ideas on the right way to go with these in grub2?

Barry

For Slackware, wouldn't this work?
menuentry 'Slackware' {
set root=(hd0,23)
chainloader +1
}

For PCLinuxOS and HDInstaller, you're booting off the livecd iso, so you will need
menuentry "PCLinux Livecd" {
loopback loop (hd0,1)/<path_to_iso>/xxxPClinuxxxxxx.iso
linux (loop)/boot/isolinux/vmlinuz findiso=<path_at_iso_mount/xxxxxx.iso boot=livecd vga=788 fromusb
initrd (loop)/boot/<path_to_iso_mount_boot>/initrd.gz
}

Barry, can you really get this live iso booted before grub2? That is from grub-legacy?

Boot entry (all-install) of HDinstaller looks wrong and I don't know what boot it uses for the iso file; check this out by manually mounting first..
"mount -o loop xxxxxxxxxx.iso /mnt/xxx"
Modify accordingly.

Also, I don't use PCLinux, but doesn't it uses 'casper' rather than 'livecd'? You used 'rw' in the linux line. you have 'persistent' and a partition for it?

Again, I am puzzled that you can boot these before grub2. Please confirm. I really want to know.

Regards - Goh Lip