Re: Issues with device detection in an EFI/GPT scenario

From: Andreas Loew
Subject: Re: Issues with device detection in an EFI/GPT scenario
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2016 01:16:04 +0100

Hello Andrei,

Am 31.01.2016 um 06:33 schrieb Andrei Borzenkov:
Does this help in finding out why these messages are printed?
Unfortunately, no, they are too low level. What is content of boot menu
entry? Execute each command one by one manually in CLI, and check which
command produces these errors.
ok, so I've now single-stepped through my grub.cfg finally, and have found that the "offending" command that immediately precedes the printout of the error messages as shown above is:
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root --hint='mduuid/<md-uuid>' <fs-uuid>
which then is followed by debug messages "opening hd0", "scanning for DISKFILTER devices on hd0" and finally "reading <num> sectors at the sector <sector> from hd0", which then causes "hd0 read failed", as device 'hd0' in my scenario matches the empty PATA optical disk drive without media inserted.

In case you need further information or would like to see my complete grub.cfg, just let me know.

Thanks again & best regards,
Andreas