Re: Can't boot Win 7 on second HDD from Kubuntu Trusty GRUB

From: Shriramana Sharma
Subject: Re: Can't boot Win 7 on second HDD from Kubuntu Trusty GRUB
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2016 17:23:25 +0530

Hello people. On this issue of GRUB being on one HD and needing to
boot Windows 7 on another HD, I found out that:

1) If the Windows boot code (which GRUB chainloads) and the files
ntldr etc are present on a *FAT* partition, then GRUB seems to have no
problem doing drivemap and chainload and Win 7 boots correctly, but
since Win 7 needs NTFS for its root installation, that has to be on
yet another partition (and on my system it's even on another drive).

2) If the Windows boot code to be chainloaded is present on an *NTFS* partition:

a) If GRUB is also present on the *same* drive, drivemap is not
required and GRUB has no problem chainloading to Win 7.

b) If GRUB is present on a *different* drive (which is what I was
trying to do and failing despite attempts of help from people here),
then drivemap and chainload does not succeed in booting Win 7.

Hope this helps somebody. It's a darn shame that Windows doesn't play
well with other OSs or boot-loaders and isn't able to boot from any
dam' partition of any dam' drive but requires the first partition of
the first drive to be according to its wish (limitations). Ah well.

--
Shriramana Sharma ஶ்ரீரமணஶர்மா श्रीरमणशर्मा