help-gsl

Re: [Help-gsl] GSL and C99 standard

From: Heikki Orsila
Subject: Re: [Help-gsl] GSL and C99 standard
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 15:40:25 +0300

On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 05:41:25PM +0100, Brian Gough wrote:
> I would like to keep C89 compatibility, which limits the extent to
> which any new features can be used.

Are there many users that can not support any C99 features?

I think the the relevant question is which C99 features, not the whole
feature set. For example, I would like to use named initializers for
structures as they make code more maintainable and easier to read:

C89:
        struct foo bar;
        memset(&bar, 0, sizeof bar);
        bar.name = value;

C99:
        struct foo bar = {.name = value};

gcc has supported this feature for ages already..

--
Heikki Orsila
address@hidden