Re: mach, mklinux, uml, and darwin.

From: Tom Hart
Subject: Re: mach, mklinux, uml, and darwin.
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 15:25:36 -0600

Troy Truchon wrote:
While reading about User-mode linux I got to thinking about how MKlinux works, after looking at their site it appears that it works in a similar manner (i.e. a port of a kernel to another kernel. and from what little I understand about Darwin it is a BSD kernel ported to mach. In theory could one run linux and/or BSD on top of the mach kernel alongside the hurd? It would make it a lot easier if I could run GNU/linux while gradually learning/using/playing with the hurd.

I don't think it can work that way, since Hurd and Linux have different formats for executable files, and different versions of glibc.

If you want to use GNU/Linux and GNU/Hurd at the same time, you could:
1. Network a GNU/Linux box to a GNU/Hurd box and telnet/ssh into the GNU/Hurd box from within GNU/Linux; or 2. Run GNU/Hurd inside Bochs. =) (In which case, a fast computer would be a good thing.)

  /  Tom Hart                                      |
 |   hartte13@BrandonU.ca                          |
  \  "rmTFM - Build consistent interfaces."        |