Re: Help using "eval" ala section 8.8

From: Caleb Epstein
Subject: Re: Help using "eval" ala section 8.8
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 22:25:24 -0500

On Tue, Mar 30, 2004 at 05:50:57PM -0500, Paul D. Smith wrote:

> %% Caleb Epstein <address@hidden> writes:
>
>   ce>         I'm having difficulty using "eval" with an example taken more
>   ce>         or less verbatim from the GNU Make manual, section 8.8.  I am
>   ce>         using GNU make 3.80 on a GNU/Debian Linux box.
>
> There's a typo in the manual:
>
>   ce>  $(1): $$($(1)_OBJ) $$($(1)_LIBS:%=-l%)
>                      ^^^^
> Here the "OBJ" should be "OBJS":
>
>  $(1): $$($(1)_OBJS) $$($(1)_LIBS:%=-l%)
>                   ^

        Thanks, I found the typo myself not long after sending the
        original email.  But there is a patch for eval in savannah,
        which is not in the 3.80 official release that was also
        tripping me up.  Debian/unstable has it (my home box), but the
        RedHat machines I use at work need the patch for eval to work
        properly.

        This seems to me like an important enough of a fix to warrant
        a new release of GNU make.  Would you agree?

        Thanks for your help and for such an excellent make feature.
        Its a huge win to be able to write small, reusable, generic
        rules.

--
Caleb Epstein |  bklyn . org  |There is nothing wrong with Southern California
    cae at    | Brooklyn Dust |that a rise in the ocean level wouldn't cure.