Re: changing MAKEFLAGS to affect current makefile

From: Noel Yap
Subject: Re: changing MAKEFLAGS to affect current makefile
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 06:56:23 -0500

It's submakes that are affected.

You might want to read http://www.paulandlesley.org/make/multi-arch.html for an
idea for how to do what you want.

HTH,
Noel

Boris Kolpackov wrote:

Good day,

I read the following in "Communicating Options to sub-make":

"You can also set `MAKEFLAGS' in a makefile, to specify additional flags that should also be in effect for that makefile."

and also

"When `make' interprets the value of `MAKEFLAGS' (either from the
environment or from a makefile), it first prepends a hyphen if the value does not already begin with one."

Which means that I should be able to say something like

MAKEFLAGS += -r

and all built-in implicit rules are gone. But that sounds too good to be true - this line has no effect on current make. Any clue?

thanks,
-boris