Re: Nested make?

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: Nested make?
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2005 20:40:43 -0500

%% "Nikos Balkanas" <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello,

Hi.  Please send plain text email to the mailing list, rather than HTML
or Rich Text.  Thanks!

> I have a small problem with make. I try to process differently the same
> = source files (%.c) using wildcards and a different argument to make =
> (make asm). The solution that I have is scripted and contrary to make =
> philosophy, inasmuch all the source files are remade not only the ones =
> changed since last time:

If you want all the files to be rebuilt every time, why use make at all?
Just write a shell script.

> %:     %.c
>          ${CC} ${CFLAGS} $< -o $@

> Instead I am looking for smt else (nested example - not working):

> asm:    %:    %.c
>             ${CC} ${CFLAGS} -S -fverbose-asm $<

Well, you can either use ifeq () with the $(MAKECMDGOALS) variable, or,
if you have a sufficiently recent version of GNU make, you can use a
target-specific variable attached to the asm target:

    asm: EXTRA_FLAGS = -S -fverbose-asm
    asm: $(ASMSRC:%.c=%)

or similar.

See the GNU make manual for descriptions of both of these features.