Re: 3.81+ release date ?

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: 3.81+ release date ?
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 10:39:52 -0400

%% David Boyce <address@hidden> writes:

  db> At 08:15 AM 4/28/2005, Ken Smith wrote:
  >> Why not just provide the 3.8.1 beta as a separate package?

  db> Fine idea, but OTOH an announcement was made ~2 months ago that we
  db> should expect a release of 3.81 on March 1 2005 or very soon
  db> thereafter. It doesn't seem unreasonable to inquire about the
  db> whereabouts of said real release on April 27 2005

Perfectly reasonable.  I have no excuses.  I have one bug that I need to
get fixed, then I'm going to release beta3.  I've been sidetracked with a
bunch of other projects over the last month or so.

My real concern is the Windows and Windows-ish ports.  That area is
getting more fragmented, rather than more cohesive, and there's no clear
owner or group of owners for it.  I'm getting tons of proposed patches
but no consensus on which ones should be added, which need more work,
which break other Windows environments (cygnus, mingw, ...), etc.  I
just can't apply everything that comes along and I don't have the
knowledge and/or resources to handle the Windows-specific parts.

It's funny how everyone always complains about how different the UNIX
variants are, when we can't even find a single development environment
that everyone can agree on in the Windows world :-).  Maybe the UNIX
folks just have more experience with the pain of interoperability, so
they make more of an effort.

I feel like I'm going to need to do something about this... but I'm not
sure what, yet.