Re: Regarding running shell script from Makefile

From: Dave Hylands
Subject: Re: Regarding running shell script from Makefile
Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 21:32:52 -0700

HI Eli,

> Some windows machine seem to have Path in their environment and others
> seem to have PATH. make treats them as different variables (or at
> least there are sets of compile time options that cause this to
> happen).
>
> I think that when both PATH and Path exist in the environment, then
> windows just winds up using the first one it encounters.

When did you last see such problems?  I see in Make 3.81 code that
explicitly synchronizes Path and PATH, so they both have the same
value.  Is it possible that your experience dates back to ports of old
versions of Make?  If not, can you provide a short self-contained
example that can be used to reproduce the problem?

It's entirely possible that it was in 3.79 since we've been using that
version for quite a while, and some of our build environments are
still using it (once we release a version, maintenance version
generally don't get tool updates since the updates could invalidate
all of the testing).

Anyways, I think it was over a year ago I saw the problem, and of
course since we addressed it, I wouldn't have noticed that it was
fixed in a newer version of make.

Thanks for pointing out that it appears to be fixed. If I can make the
problem occur again with the latest version of make I'll bring it up
again.

TIA

--
Dave Hylands