Re: how to instruct gmake to read included fragmented makefiles paralall

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: how to instruct gmake to read included fragmented makefiles paralally..
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 08:53:52 -0400

On Thu, 2007-06-21 at 11:36 +0530, Divakar Venkata (divvenka) wrote:
> Here, is there a way to instruct gmake to read these fragmented
> makefiles paralally and create dependency graph..?

I agree with Philip; I'd be surprised if the actual parsing of the
makefiles was causing much slowdown.  The make parser is somewhat ad
hoc, but it's pretty fast overall.

However, to answer your question: no, there is no way to have make read
files in parallel.  In order to do that, make would have to be
multithreaded and that's a whole other level of complexity and system
requirements that is completely unnecessary.