Re: Feature idea: required version flag

From: John Dill
Subject: Re: Feature idea: required version flag
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2008 09:43:15 -0500

>> On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 8:55 PM, John Dill <address@hidden>
wrote:
>> My particular solution is to have an include file that implements some
>> variables for use in my makefile. This is an excerpt from my make
function
>> library.
>
> <big snip>
>
> Great! i'm gonna steal that. :)

Glad you like it :)

> But let's consider:
>
> a) this must be updated on each new version of make (admittedly not very
often)

True, but now you have the problem of having versions of make with the
implementation of the '-X' flag and those that don't.  So implementing a
make that has a version flag just created another version problem for any
makefile that depends on that '-X' flag.

> b) it's MUCH more verbose than, e.g. -X=3.81 or
--minimum-make-version=3.81

No argument there, but I can live with verbose.

Best regards,
John Dill