Re: White Space Problems--Again

From: Philip Guenther
Subject: Re: White Space Problems--Again
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2009 13:49:53 -0700

On Sat, Mar 28, 2009 at 5:36 AM, Tom Browder <address@hidden> wrote:
> I know there are words in the Make manual warning about insidious
> white space at the ends of strings, but is there any reason that Make
> couldn't do trimming during parsing?

Well, the POSIX standard requires the current behavior.

It's also part of the documented way of getting a variable that
contains just whitespace, so there are presumably makefiles out there
that make use of current behavior.  Changing the behavior would break
those makefiles and create a general version incompatibility problem.

Philip Guenther