was: RE: auto-dep cannot possibly work?

From: Mark Galeck (CW)
Subject: was: RE: auto-dep cannot possibly work?
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 13:22:37 -0800

Hello,  this is about a thread that was here a while ago, where I argued that
some "bizarre" cases should be taken care of by auto-dependency generation.

I want to say, that after chasing this wild goose for a while, I came to
understand that it is not feasible in principle to cover the case of new header
files appearing, without changing existing sources.

What is more, I finally came to understand that Paul was right, of course, that
it is up to the developer to edit the makefile, do "make clean" or whatever
needs to be done, if they introduce new files without touching existing
sources.  Make should not be expected to take care of that.

Thank you Paul, it is a pleasure to learn from you, even though I am a little
slow with it, please excuse that.

Mark