octave through a remote connection

From: Francesco Potorti`
Subject: octave through a remote connection
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 1995 19:47 +0100 (MET)

I wrote:
      I use octave through a remsh connection like this:

      remsh sable octave

      so I can run it on a remote machine and have the output in an emacs
      buffer.  Unfortunately, octave refuses to show its prompt.  Someone
      knows how to make it display the prompt?  Emacs is not the culprit, as
      the same things happen if I type "remsh sable octave" from the shell
      prompt.

Vianyak answered:
   Try remsh sable octave -i

I forgot to mention that I had tried the -i option, but then octave
echoes all my commands, twice (!), like this:

-----------------------------
Octave, version 1.1.1.
Copyright (C) 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995 John W. Eaton.
This is free software with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
For details, type `warranty'.

octave:1> 2+3
2+3^M
2+3
ans = 5
octave:2>

both from the shell prompt and from an emacs buffer.  Obviously, I see
the ^M only in the emacs buffer.  It shouldn't echo at all.
--
         Francesco Potorti`     | address@hidden (Internet)
         researcher at          | 39369::pot (DECnet)