Re: Windows, mkoctfile and DLLs

From: Paul Kienzle
Subject: Re: Windows, mkoctfile and DLLs
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 09:23:01 -0500

As of about 2.1.37 you can build Octave out of the box with support for
mkoctfile.  I use:

        ./configure --enable-shared --disable-static
        make
        make install

You need a cygwin development environment in order to do so, but you will
need that anyway if you are building your own oct-files.  [Hmmm... I wonder
if you could build octave files from VC++ even though octave itself was
compiled from Cygwin?  Probably not, since the C++ ABI is not
standardized.] I don't know what version the prebuilt windows distributions
are using, or whether they were built with --enable-shared.

I have no problems running on a Windows 2000 box.  On Windows ME I get
complaints from all loaded oct-files whenever I spawn a process from Octave,
but my Windows ME box has a number of other problems, so I don't know if
this is attributable to octave.  To see if it is a problem for you, load
an oct-file with a command such as min([1 2 3]), then start the pager
with a command such as rand(100,2).

Paul Kienzle
address@hidden