Octave distribution (was: Re: Octave advocacy)

From: Jonathan Stickel
Subject: Octave distribution (was: Re: Octave advocacy)
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 10:16:59 -0700

Open source is a lot about choice, but there is a price to pay for that. With Octave there are many choices: which blas/atlas package to use, hdf5 support, whether to install octave-forge, and others I don't know. With octave-forge there are more choices: GiNaC support, Qhull support, additional plotting packages, and others.

To truly choose for yourself, you must compile from source. If you don't want to compile from source, you are at the mercy of those who will compile for you! Usually binary packages come with less rather than more since the more you include, the more library dependencies must be solved.

Just my 2 cents.  BTW: this is why I use Gentoo for my Linux Distro.

Jonathan

Jonathan C. Webster wrote:

Quentin Spencer wrote:

Perhaps we need a little "octave-forge advocacy"? One problem I see is the RPM-based Linux distributions generally include octave but not octave-forge (Debian users don't have this problem thanks to Dirk). It would be nice to get octave-forge included in more distributions.

--Quentin

Second that!
Jonathan Webster