Re: Where is .emacs or similar

From: Rupert Swarbrick
Subject: Re: Where is .emacs or similar
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2007 17:30:15 +0100

On Fri, 7 Sep 2007 08:23:49 -0700 (PDT)
Nose Nada <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hello there!
>
> I'm running Octave 2.9.13 under Fedora 7 in a x86-64 machine. I have
> installed Emacs 22.1 from sources for the sake of using the Emac
> support to Octave. I need to configure Emac for this purpose but I
> find neither the Emac start up time file, .emac nor any of the
> options described in the manual. That is, working as root I do not
> have ~/.emac or ~/emac.el and while I have ~/.emac.h there is
> no .init.el.Is there some alternative to configure with the Octave
> Manual instructions? Can I create from scratch a .emacs file? Will it
> be load at start by emacs?

Yep - just write a text file and save it as ".emacs". For what it's
worth, I'd usually try to work as a non-root user and then su/sudo to
do stuff that needs doing as root - surely you don't need to be root to
run octave!!?

A nice trick might be to M-x customize-group and change then save a
variable. The "save" bit writes some text in .emacs, so if you're not
sure exactly where Emacs is looking for the startup file (not always
obvious if you're using sudo for example), you can do this first and
then hunt for the resultant file! :)

This is rather off topic though - Octave has its own "init" file,
stored as .octaverc in which commands for customizing octave itself
must be stored.

Rupert