Re: load txt file with space, +, * separator

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: load txt file with space, +, * separator
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2007 08:43:56 -0600

On 31/12/2007, Jean-Marie Bonnaz <address@hidden> wrote:
> For the moment I'd like to read the joined file in Octave. Separators are *,
> space, +.
> It is a data files. I optain it with a topographical apparatus.

It is probably easiest to format this file so that Octave can read it
(a quick regexp in Perl or Emacs can do it).

However, I can't understand what the final output should be like. The
file looks like this (shortened sample numbers):

    *12+07 84..10+01 85..10+01 86+10..01

You want to read this into a matrix, right? What does the "86+10..01"
notation mean? It almost looks like scientific notation. What are the
two ..? At first I thought that simply replacing the * and + with
space would suffice, but I don't think that you want to read it like
that, do you?

- Jordi G. H.