Re: Octave presentation

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: Octave presentation
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2008 02:13:50 +0100

Jaroslav Hajek wrote:
On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 3:18 PM, Rubén Roa-Ureta <address@hidden> wrote:
Jaroslav Hajek wrote:
hello,

if anyone is interested, I'm sharing a simple presentation that I'm
going to use in my talk about Octave at Prague university.
It is not intended to be a tutorial to Octave, but an informational
intro about Octave and Free Software in general.
Comments from anyone are welcome, as well as modifications or
graphical adjustments.
(PS: Yes, you may find it rather curt. I like minimalistic presentations.)

Very nice minimalistic presentation.
I think among the FOSS successes you have to mention R (www.r-project.org),
the statistical programming system. It has thousands of users and its
expanding.

Good idea - R is a great example, especially the analogy of S/R and
Matlab/Octave.

Rubén

Yeah Right!!! Check the page http://www.r-project.org/contributors.html where you'll find the text

<quote>
R was inspired by the S environment which has been principally developed by John Chambers, with substantial input from Douglas Bates, Rick Becker, Bill Cleveland, Trevor Hastie, Daryl Pregibon and Allan Wilks. A special debt is owed to John Chambers who has graciously contributed advice and encouragement in the early days of R and later became a member of the core team.
</quote>

I'll believe the R/S vs Octave/Matlab thing when Cleve Moler contributes to Octave..

D.

35 rue Gambetta                              +33 1 46 04 02 18 (Home)
92100 Boulogne-Billancourt FRANCE            +33 6 72 01 06 33 (Mob)