Re: [OctDev] Trouble with jhandles--installation issue?

From: Jonathan Kimball
Subject: Re: [OctDev] Trouble with jhandles--installation issue?
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2010 14:57:08 -0500

What isn't clear to me is whether this is a jhandles issue or an Octave issue.  Did the GPL issue affect the 3.0.1 build that was previously available for Octave, or v0.3.3 of jhandles?  More to my immediate concern, should I expect to be able to get an older version of jhandles working with Octave 3.2.4, or is it just broken on Windows altogether?

Thanks for all the info.

Jonathan

2010/8/10 Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <address@hidden>
On 10 August 2010 13:11, Martin Helm <address@hidden> wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 10. August 2010 19:44:15 schrieb Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso:

>> > [...] it apparently boils down to the fact that Microsoft
>> > doesn't ship the C++ standard library as part of a standard Windows
>> > install.
>>
>> Okay... I presume it must be using some JNI?
>>
>> > Basically, what appears to be necessary is getting these packages to
>> > compile/work using the newer mingw port that replaced the MSVC port.
>>
>> I am a bit confused. Was jhandles Windows-only software? Perhaps I
>> should close the Debian packaging request, in that case.

> Jhandles is not windows only.

Well, the reason I'm confused is, why would a distribution problem on
Windows, due to restrictive licenses like the one that Microsoft's
implementation of the C++ stdlib uses, force the author to remove all
traces of jhandles from the web, not just for users of Windows?

Thanks,
- Jordi G. H.