Octave Set Up For Beginngers

From: injoi
Subject: Octave Set Up For Beginngers
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2012 10:07:42 -0700 (PDT)

Hey Octave community!

I am just starting out with Octave and I am completely lost...I am
proficient in MATLAB but I am lost now that I am trying to go open source.

Can I get some help on where to download:
1) GUI for Octave 3.6.2
2) Lower version of Octave with compatible GUI
3) open source beginners guide ( PACKT'S "free eBook download" is not
working)
4) advice for how I should set up my system/program for thorough signal
processing

Just trying to get my feet wet and figure everything out. thanks