Re: Cloud Computing with Octave

From: George Kousiouris
Subject: Re: Cloud Computing with Octave
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2012 18:43:27 +0300

On 10/19/2012 6:18 PM, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
The marketing term "cloud computing" is a bit stupid, not to mention nebulous:

    http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/who-does-that-server-really-serve.html

Hi,

I think this is exaggerating things a bit. SaaS is meant as an architectural approach and/or computing/programming paradigm/usage. What it has underneath may be proprietary or not.  Even if you say that  it has an open source software offered as a service but the server owner may mislead you and have a different version installed than the one he makes publicly available, I don't see the difference with the statement:

"E-commerce is not SaaS, because the computing isn't solely yours; rather, it is done jointly for you and another party. So there's no particular reason why you alone should expect to control that computing. The real issue in e-commerce is whether you trust the other party with your money and personal information."

 It all boils down to whether you trust the specific provider.

BR,
George